An online real estate degree could help prepare you for many career possibilities in the real estate industry.
Many real estate professionals go on to work in appraisals, property management, or brokerage.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
Overall, employment for many positions in the field is projected to grow over the next decade.
Bachelors in Real Estate Degrees Online
A bachelor’s degree in real estate can help prepare you for many different career paths. While some schools will offer a bachelor degree in real estate online, others might offer real estate as a concentration or a focus within a business degree.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
With a bachelor degree in real estate, you can have flexibility in your career path. Here are some common careers for real estate professionals:
- Real estate agent or broker
- Property manager
- Appraiser or assessor
- Commercial real estate agent
Here are some of the course topics you might complete while studying for your real estate business degree online:
- Real estate finance
- Housing markets
- Real estate development
- International real estate
- Real estate law
- Real estate appraisal
- Real estate management
Most programs will require 120 credits for completion. Depending on what career path you decide to follow, you could encounter different coursework.
Real Estate Careers and Salaries
There are several directions you could take once you have completed a realtor degree. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, here are some of the career possibilities that are related to the real estate sector.
|Careers||Annual Median Salaries|
|General and Operations Managers||$97,970|
|Real Estate Brokers||$62,010|
|Property Appraisers and Assessors
|Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers||$59,230|
|Real Estate Sales Agents — Construction||$48,270|
|Real Estate Sales Agents — Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||$47,530|
|Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks||$45,560|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||$31,330|
Some graduates choose a role that focuses on relationship building and sales, skills a broker could benefit greatly from. Other areas of concentration within a real estate program could include construction management, commercial real estate, and property development.
Bachelor of Real Estate Curriculum & Courses
Depending on what you decide to focus on as a real estate major, there are a variety of courses you may take. Here is an example of some of the coursework you can expect to see:
- Real Estate Principles: In this course, you’ll cover many topics that are important to the day-to-day operations in real estate, such as titles, liens, and closing procedures.
- Real Estate Finance: This course gives you an overview of the concepts, methods, and techniques of financing residential and non-residential real estate.
- Housing Markets: In this class, you’ll study the trends in housing prices both past and present, how the housing market might be impacted in different ways by the economy, and other issues that might be important in the current market.
- Real Estate Development: This is a course for students who want to learn about the ins and outs of developing properties, and it will generally cover the process involved in the development, including how money is used at each step. Some universities even offer both on-campus and online master’s in real estate development.
- International Real Estate: Students who are interested in real estate markets around the world might choose to take this class to learn about the processes involved with buying property outside of the country.
- Real Estate Law: This course will cover the legal processes involved in real estate. It might cover topics like land acquisition, investing, title examinations, and property taxation.
- Real Estate Appraisal: You can study valuation methodologies as well as characteristics that affect property value.
- Real Estate Management: This course teaches you effective ways to manage, administer, and sell property owned by another party or entity.
- Real Estate Entrepreneurship: In this course, you can learn about what it takes to pursue a real estate business as an entrepreneur, including challenges you might face and available opportunities.
- Real Estate Marketing: This course could cover the fundamentals of digital marketing in real estate, including social media and email marketing.
This are just some of the courses you might choose from if you decide to major in real estate.
How to Choose an Online Real Estate Degree Program
Here are a few factors to consider when choosing an online real estate program:
- Cost. There are a few things to think about when considering the cost of a program. For instance, in-state students may pay less at some schools. You can also see what financial aid opportunities a school offers.
- Location. If you are enrolling in a program that also has some in-person requirements, you will likely need to know if it’s within a reasonable driving distance. In-state students may also receive a tuition discount.
- Student support. There are many schools that stand out based on the different types of support they offer their students. Some programs may offer internships or mentorships with professionals who are already on the career path you’re interested in.
- Program format. Some programs offer the option of asynchronous or synchronous learning. Some may offer a hybrid combination of the two. You can also consider whether you are able to learn as a full-time student or whether you might need a part-time program option.
- Accreditation. If a school is regionally accredited, it means their programs meet certain standards. You can be confident that you’re earning a credible degree if you attend an accredited school.
These are just a few of the many things to consider when determining if a program will be the right fit for you.
BA in Real Estate Admissions Requirements
Colleges for real estate can have varying admissions requirements, but you will typically see the following:
- Admissions test scores. Some schools no longer require an entrance exam such as the SAT or ACT, so you may want to check your specific school’s requirements.
- Essays. Essays give you the chance to personalize your application. You can write about a unique experience you have had or why your qualifications make you a good fit for the program.
- Letters of recommendation. Former teachers, coaches, mentors, or managers could help illustrate your character.
- Official transcripts. Your official transcripts will include your overall GPA as well as your individual grades from high school. You are also asked to send in transcripts from any postsecondary classes you’ve completed.
Applying to a bachelor degree program is a process. It might help to make a checklist so you can begin checking things off as you go.
Online Real Estate Degrees Accreditation
Regional accreditation is an important factor to consider when searching for credible schools. If your school is accredited, it means they have met or exceeded high-quality standards for their educational and student services.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
Your school’s accreditation status can affect your financial aid eligibility as well as your career path post-graduation. For financial aid, only students enrolled in accredited schools are eligible for certain forms of aid, such as government aid. You can verify whether a school is accredited by visiting the US Department of Education’s website.
Real Estate Licensure and Certifications
If you want to pursue a license or certification in real estate, the criteria you’re required to meet will depend on the state in which you live. While requirements can vary by state, here are some common real estate licenses and certifications:
- Accredited Buyers Representative: Commercial real estate agents can complete a 2-day course and pass an exam to earn this certification from the National Association of Realtors (NAR).
- Certified International Property Specialist (CIPS): Agents and brokers can earn this CIPS credential in order to gain new marketing skills and network with peers across the globe.
- Real Estate License: If you want to practice as a real estate professional, a license is required. A pre-licensing education is a prerequisite.
If a career in real estate is your end goal, it’s strategic to keep licensure in mind as you make your plans.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
If you are in need of financial aid to pursue a bachelor degree online, there are a number of options out there. One of the most common paths to financial aid is through the federal or state government. You can apply for both grants and loans. You can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what kind of government aid you’re eligible for.
Another option is to see if you qualify for a scholarship. These are often geared toward a specific program you are interested in. They can also be awarded for previous academic achievements. Some employers even offer tuition assistance or have professional development funds.
Real Estate Professional Organizations
There are several professional organizations you might want to join as you begin your journey in real estate:
- Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM)
- NAIOP – Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- National Association of Realtors (NAR)
Joining a professional association could give you a network of people to turn to for support and opportunities as you figure out where you want to go with your online real estate degree.
Do You Need a Degree for Real Estate?
While you don’t always need a degree to be a real estate agent, a bachelors degree could be beneficial for a variety of reasons.
For example, effective real estate agents needs to understand many business and financial concepts. If you invest in a bachelor degree in real estate, you can learn the foundations in these subjects, allowing you to better serve your clients and stay informed about trends.
In order to practice real estate, you will generally be required to work with a brokerage firm of some sort. Having a degree in real estate can help make you a more competitive candidate for these positions.
What Is a Good Major for Real Estate?
When choosing a major in real estate, it can be strategic to base your decision on your career goals and aspirations. Here are a few majors that prospective real estate professionals may choose to earn:
- Real Estate. This major could be a strategic choice if you know you want to be a realtor. This major will give you an overview of many subjects—including urban planning, economics, finance, and investment—but it may not dig deeper into any one subject.
- Business Administration. This major focuses on management and leadership. It also covers the basics of finance, accounting, and marketing.
- Finance. This major could be a beneficial choice because a large part of being a real estate agent involves finance. As a finance major, you can learn about different financial markets, financial planning, and economics.
Depending on what career paths and topics most interest you, there are many beneficial options to choose from when deciding on a major.
What Can You Do with a Real Estate Degree?
A real estate degree can lead to a number of career opportunities. One of the most common paths for graduates is to become a real estate broker or sales agent. Others, though, decide to go into property appraisal or pursue careers as loan officers.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
Professionals who are interested in leadership may pursue positions as property, real estate, or community association managers. The business skills you can develop in a real estate degree program are also applicable to a number of different industries.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Bachelors in Real Estate Online?
If you enroll full-time and opt to follow a program with a more traditional 16 week semester, you will likely complete your degree in 4 years. The traditional academic semester tends to begin in the fall, break for the winter holidays, and break for the summer months.
If you decide you want to complete your degree more quickly, there are other options. For example, there are online programs that follow an 8 week semester. Enrolling full-time and attending year-round could allow you to finish more quickly.
Is a Degree in Real Estate Worth It?
Yes, a degree in real estate is worth it for many professionals. If you are interested in business, financial markets, and sales, then real estate could be a strategic major or concentration to consider.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, roles within the real estate sector are experiencing steady job growth. There are many career paths you can pursue with a bachelors in real estate, whether you prefer working in an office or out in the field selling directly with clients. In many cases, real estate professionals can even create their own schedules.
Universities Offering Online Bachelors in Real Estate Degree Programs
Methodology: The following school list is in alphabetical order. To be included, a college or university must be regionally accredited and offer degree programs online or in a hybrid format.
American Public University offers an online program for a Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in Real Estate Construction and Portfolio Development. Students must complete 120 credit hours to graduate. Applicants must submit an online application along with proof of high school completion and government-issued photo ID.
APUS is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Arkansas State University offers an online program for a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Real Estate. Students must complete 120 credit hours to graduate. To be eligible for the program, applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 and either an ACT score of 21 or an SAT score of 1070.
Arkansas State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Clarion University offers students the option to add a minor in real estate to their undergraduate degree. Students must complete the 21 required credit hours with a grade of C or higher to receive the minor. Applicants may apply online with official transcripts and ACT or SAT scores.
Clarion University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Fordham University offers a Bachelor of Science in Real Estate. Students must complete the required 36 credit hours related to the major and meet all other requirements to graduate. Those interested in the degree must first complete three pre-requisite courses offered by the school.
Fordham University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Liberty University offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in Real Estate. All classes are 8 weeks long and offered online. Students need to complete 120 credit hours to graduate. Applicants must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher to be eligible for the program.
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Louisiana State University offers a Bachelor of Science in Finance with an emphasis in Real Estate. Students must complete 120 online credit hours to graduate. Those interested in the program may apply online through the school’s website with copies of their official transcripts.
Louisiana State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
The Bachelor’s in Business Administration program at Mississippi College emphasizes critical thinking skills, teamwork, and global perspectives. After students complete the general degree requirements, they are required to complete an additional 12 credit hours in the specialty of their choosing. Specialty options include Sports Management, Real Estate, Management Information Systems, and Data Management.
Mississippi College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Purdue University offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with the option to add a concentration in Real Estate. To potentially gain credits, students are allowed to submit an academic portfolio for consideration. Students may take a three-week trial run of the program if they are unsure about entering it. Applicants must speak with an admissions counselor and complete an interview prior to applying.
Purdue University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Temple University offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Real Estate. Students must complete 124 credit hours to graduate. An accelerated program is offered that gives students the chance to complete the program in 3 years. Applicants must submit official transcripts, standardized test scores, and an admissions essay.
Temple University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The University of Memphis offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance with a concentration in Real Estate. To graduate, students must complete 120 credit hours. Those interested in the program may apply online through the school’s website with copies of their ACT or SAT scores and official high school transcripts.
The University of Memphis is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Getting Your Real Estate Bachelor Degree Online
If you love working with people and have an interest in business and finance, then earning a real estate bachelors degree could be a strategic move.
The job and salary possibilities in this field are wide-ranging, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a positive job outlook for this sector.
With all of this information, you may want to start thinking about which path you want to follow in your real estate career. The sooner you begin researching real estate degrees from accredited universities, the sooner you may discover programs that fit for your specific needs and interests.